Friday, September 18, 2009

Frugal Friday - Timers

It's Frugal Friday over at http://www.lifeasmom.com/, and while I haven't been spending a lot of money lately, I also haven't been actively looking for ways to save money either, and I think they both need to go hand-in-hand. But this week I think I've come up with another cost-saving idea. It's been rather cool in the mornings here this week in central Ohio, mid 40s some days, and yesterday my daughter said the magic words.... "Mom, it's too cold. I'm going to have to start using my space heater." Yikes! That little 10-inch cube used more electricity last winter that I ever dreamed. In fact, I've never, ever had an electric bill over $100 until she started using that thing, and I nearly croaked when I opened that bill last February. To backtrack a little, DD is very petite and has a severe case of iron deficiency. (Her ferritin, or iron storage, is "up to" 10, when normal is 20-200 and her doctor wants her at at least 50.) So she gets cold quite easily, and since I keep the house at 65 or cooler at night in the winter, it's downright difficult to get her out of her nice, warm, cozy bed if her room isn't warm.

So to make a long story short, here is my frugal tip: I'm going to buy an appliance timer, one of those that you usually use on lights when you're going on vacation, and use it for her heater. We'll set it to turn on about an hour before she needs to get out of bed, and her room should be warm enough when she wakes up. I'm thinking I should recoup the cost of the timer in lower electric bills in less than a month, which will definitely be nice this heating season!

2 comments:

The Prudent Homemaker said...

I didn't know they made individual timers for those! We have central a/c and heat, and we have programmable thermostats (2; the house was built with 2 a/c units)and so I set them like that as well--an hour before we get up in winter. It really helps save on the bills!

Twinsmom said...

There was a programmable thermostat in the home when we moved here, but the previous owners left no instructions, the company customer service was of no help, and I could never figure out how to set the thing so it would work properly! It finally went out a year ago, and I just had a regular one put in. Since I'm home all day, it works just fine.